|Jessica Drew (spiderwomanout) wrote,|
@ 2026-01-02 22:45:00
Doomed from the start. Jessica Drew's parents were Johnathan and Miriam Drew, British HYDRA scientists dedicated to studying arthropods and harnessing their innate environmental adaptability and grafting it onto the human genome. In 1986, Miriam was pregnant with Jessica at the time of conducting their research in Mount Wundagore of Transia when disaster struck; Miriam was hit in the womb with a laser beam containing DNA of various species of spider. Miriam survived, and by some miracle, their daughter did too, and was born a few months later; healthy, just not...normal. Jessica adopted traits of the spiders in the womb and developed a variety of metahuman abilities. Fascinated by this discovery, Johnathan used 10 year old Jessica for his research, testing his theories through injections and blood samples. The young Jessica Drew grew sicker and weaker with each take, but her father believed her to be good as dead anyway.
A fall out between Miriam and Johnathan led to a violent manifestation of Jessica's powers, and after that...blank. Jessica would wake up ten years later from stasis and a genetic accelerator (done by Dr. Wyndham aka High Evolutioanry, Johnathan's colleague), memory completely washed away, and with the appearance of a 17 year old girl. She would learn that her father killed her mother the day of their fight, though her father's whereabouts, at the time, were still unknown. After that, she was put under the care of Lady Bova, High Evolutionary's assistant. With her help, Jessica received her high school education, and slipped back into society, though she still had a hard time adjusting, unable to "fit in". She was later recruited by Count Otto Vermis, leader of HYDRA, a terrorist organization, where she was groomed to be a top assassin and
abused trained by the Taskmaster. She was manipulated by them, and brainwashed into thinking the world of HYDRA was a place of good. Jessica Drew went under the alias Arachne, and continued to act as one of HYDRA agents.
She was assigned to assassinate S.H.I.E.L.D director Nick Fury. He, however, opened her eyes and presented to her the true identity of HYDRA, her father (dead), and the murderous nature of Vermis. Jessica then turned on the HYDRA organization and, feeling used, fled back to London where she could recoup from the brainwashing that warped her. For a little time, she tried to live a "normal" life. Despite her efforts even then, living comfortably in the mainstream was still very difficult for her. Jessica traveled around from place to place for bit, but eventually found herself in New York.
- Jessica can create "venom blasts" by focusing the bioelectronic energy within her body. Such force can stun a person, or even kill them. At its greatest intensity, it can even pierce metal, such as steael. She projects this power through her hands, and can control the severity of them.
- Her fast metabolism creates immunity against toxics, radiation, and poison. It also generates a pheromone that can attract men and cause repulsion with women. She's able to manipulate the intensity, but if she doesn't forget, she generally uses a special perfume that nullifies the effects.
- Her wall-climbing ability is what it suggests: electrostatic allows her to stick to most any surface.
- She has superhuman strength (can carry up to 7 tons), superhuman hearing (can detect and sort out just about any sound of significant distances), superhuman agility and speed (enhanced coordination and balance included), superhuman reflexes (impeccable reaction time), superhuman durability (can withstand forces that an average human couldn't, more resistant to injury, though is by no means invincible, shit still hurts like a motherfucker), and heightened smell.
- Her uniform enables her to "fly", so long there are good air currents.
- Highly skilled in many forms of armed and unarmed combat thanks to the extensive training HYDRA put her through.
- Highly skilled spy/assassin. (espionage specialty: seduction and black ops)
- Fluent in a plethora of languages, including French, Korean, Portuguese, German, Russian and Italian.
- Vocational training
Now, Jessica is keeping (mostly) under the radar while she copes with her trauma and rebuilds her life. The Dome hasn't exactly helped much with that, but while she doesn't actively go looking for wormholes, if she was desperate enough to leave, she might not hesitate to jump into one of them.